Sometimes you just have to have breakfast for dinner, right? Here, the usual scrambled tofu gets dressed up all-fancy-like for a nighttime rendez-vous with a smokey flavorful twist. Sexy!
Smokey Mexican-style Scrambled Tofu Recipe
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 TB cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 TB ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or hing)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped organic red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sweet grape tomatoes
- 1 block of firm organic tofu (with all the water pressed out!)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tsp smoked sea salt (to taste) (use sea salt if you can't find smoked salt)
- 1 15 ounce can of fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/8 cup sliced black olives
- 1/8 cup canned chopped mild chilies
- 1/2 TB Valentina salsa picante
- 1/2 TB Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce
- Over medium heat, add your dry spices. Saute for about 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add red peppers and whole grape tomatoes and saute until the red pepper start to soften.
- Add the whole block of tofu to the middle of the pan (make sure you have enough oil, you may need to add a touch more). Add salt and pepper to the block and mash it with a potato masher. Stir. Smash the softened tomatoes with the masher as well. It's fun, right?
- Add the contents of the fire roasted tomatoes, including liquid, to the tofu and bring down the heat to med-low. Let simmer with the occasional stir for about 10-15 minutes. You want the tofu to absorb all the delicious flavors!
- Add the black olives, mild chilies, and the hot sauces (Tip: You can buy both of these salsas at Target!). Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with hash browns and top with your favorites like salsa, cilantro, avocado, sour cream or cheese.
- Tip: Use leftovers as a nacho topper, filling for a breakfast burrito, over ripe avocado slices, or bake it with rice, cheese, and hash browns in a casserole dish. And yes, you can use onions in this recipe, but I don't eat onions so I didn't include them! Enjoy!