Craving something raw, crunchy and savory, I whipped up this Asian-inspired salad for dinner. The recipe that follows is for the peanut-coconut salad dressing. Toss it with a salad of shredded cabbage, red peppers, shredded carrots, celery, sliced persian cucumbers, slightly steamed broccoli, and diced and fried baked flavored tofu. Garnish with sesame seeds and/or peanuts before serving.
Coconut Peanut Dressing for Salad or Noodles
Makes about 3/4 of a cup
Note: Measurements are approximate. Always adjust to make a dish your own or to suit the ingredients in your pantry.
In a small food processor, combine:
- 1 TB peanut butter (For a thicker sauce, add 1-2 TB more.)
- 2 TB tamari or soy sauce
- 1/8 cup coconut milk (From a can or carton.)
- 1 TB coconut oil
- 1 TB rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 TB mirin
- 1 tsp maple syrup (If you like a sweet dressing, add more)
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1-2 tsp of fresh, minced ginger (optional)
- 1 clove of garlic (suit to your tatste or omit)
Toss with salad and garnish each plate. Makes enough dressing for about 4 servings of salad..