I've been stewing over an idea for a sweet potato dish for Thanksgiving for weeks now. I went through a few versions of it, and felt with each, that it needed *something* to push it over the top. Then it came to me! Spicy cranberry chutney! This would be wonderful paired with crackers spread and nut cheeses, as a jam, or on fried seitan.
Spicy Cranberry Chutney Recipe (vegan)
makes about 1.5 cups
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh, whole cranberries
- 1/2 cup organic coconut sugar (If you don't have available, use turbinado or sucanat.)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 3" cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp fresh minced ginger
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp whole cloves
- pinch turmeric
- pinch red pepper flakes
- pinch of cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Bring water to a boil and add coconut sugar. Let dissolve for a few minutes while stirring.
- Add the rest of your ingredients and simmer on low for about 20-30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- When chutney has thickened, remove from heat and let cool slightly before serving.