Super easy to make, these brussels sprouts with dried tart cherries and roasted walnuts make an awesome holiday side dish! I whipped the dish up on a busy weekday as a side, and it was a hit.
The brussels get browned on their cut side, and then the pan is then deglazed with balsamic vinegar before being flavored with mustard and sweetened with a liquid sweetener of your choice.
Balsamic Braised Brussels Sprouts with Dried Tart Cherries and Roasted Walnuts Recipe
vegan/ makes 2 servings/ time: 15 minutes
- 3-4 cups of brussels sprouts (de-stemmed, bad leaves removed, and cut in half vertically)
- 2-4 TB olive oil
- 1/8-1/4 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 TB mustard
- 1 TB liquid sweetener
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup walnuts (Toasted in oven at 350 for about 10 minutes.)
- 1/8 cup chopped dried cherries (Montmorency cherries are the best!)
- Generously coat a large saute pan with olive oil, heat oil for a minute on medium and place brussels cut side down. Let fry for about 5 minutes, shake pan to make sure they are not sticking, and cover for about 10 minutes. Keep checking to make sure the sprouts aren't browning too quickly. If they are, turn down the heat.
- When they are soft, pour in vinegar to deglaze the pan and turn down heat to low. Stir.
- Add mustard and liquid sweetener of choice. Add salt if desired.
- Toss in cherries and walnuts. Serve.