Pipe cleaner and pony bead snowflake make excellent Christmas tree ornaments (that can easily turn into wonderful last-minute Christmas gifts!) and when strung together, would make a lovely and unique garland to string along a mantel, to frame a window, or drape over a room from the ceiling. They are super simple to make for all ages (even my three-year-old made them with ease).
Pipe Cleaner and Pony Bead Snowflake Ornament Tutorial
- Plastic pony beads
- Pipe cleaners
- Thin ribbon
I bought all of my supplies at Michael's!
- Bend one pipe cleaner in half. (Repeat several times if you plan on making multiple snowflakes.)
- Use scissors to cut pipe cleaners in half.
- Take two halved pipe cleaners, wrap one around the other at their midpoints. This will create an "X" shape.
- Take a third halved pipe cleaner and wrap it around the midpoint of the "X". This will give you the base for your snowflake.
- Set that one aside and keep making snowflake bases.
8. Before you bend the last spoke, take about a 10" piece of ribbon and tie it to form a loop. Place the middle of the loop on the last spoke, and bend the pipe cleaner over the ribbon. Twist the pipe cleaner around itself to secure the ribbon.
Variation: If you would like to make a garland out of the snowflakes, tie two opposite spokes with ribbon and form a chain by connecting each new snowflake to the preceding snowflake's ribbon loop.
9. Next, straighten out any snowflake spokes that may have bent or were misshaped while beading and you're ready to decorate with your snowflakes!