For dinner tonight, I made rice pasta mac, chz, and peas for my children. They never finish all the pasta in a box, so I normally keep half of the pasta cheeseless for other uses.
We just got back from NYC, and had no real food in the house, so I had to scrape together something for dinner for me and the mister. The leftover rice pasta was just screamng for Asian flavors, so I wrangled together what I had on hand plus some chard from the local semi-organic farm right near me. It turned out pretty awesome! Ok, so the end result isn't truly mac and cheese, but it was as close as it will get with an Asian flair!
You could really use any type of noodle for this dish, or even rice, so customize it to your tastes. The sauce is really what makes it. I winged it and was not intending to make a real recipe, so the measurements are approximate.
Asian-style Vegan Mac and Cheese with Baked Tofu Recipe
- Drained, pressed tofu chopped into small
- Spray oil
- Cooked noodles (or rice) of your choice (about 1-1.5 cups per person)
- Finely chopped (or small) veggies (red peppers, shredded carrots, broccoli, asparagus, peas, greens of choice, snap peas, bean sprouts, etc.)
- 1-2 TB oil of choice
- 1-2 TB fresh minced ginger
- Finely chopped scallions/ onions/ and/or garlic to taste
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/3-1/2 cup canned light coconut milk
- 2-3 TB soy sauce
- 1/2 TB peanut butter
- 1/2 TB mirin
- 1 TB veg oyster sauce (or hoison sauce)
- Preheat oven to 425 and line baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with oil.
- Press and drain tofu. Chop into bite-sized pieces and lay in single layer on baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Cook noodles or rice. Chop veggies.
- In a frying pan on medium heat, add oil and add ginger and onions and/or garlic, then red pepper flakes, and sesame oil.
- Add veggies to oil mixture and fry.
- When veggies are almost done, clear a spot in the middle of the pan, add soy sauce, peanut butter, mirin, and veg oyster sauce. Stir sauce mixture with a fork and then add coconut milk. Stir in veggies and remove from heat.
- Mix baked tofu to veggies and sauce.
- Garnish each bowl with peanuts and/or chopped chives.