This satisfying dinner is easy to whip up on a weekday night. A sweetheart of the low-carb set, mashed cauliflower is a lovely substitute for its starchy potato counterpart. Topped with kale and braised tempeh bacon, the dish is the ultimate in vegan comfort food.
Play with the recipe and adapt it to suit your own tastes.
Mashed Cauliflower Topped with Braised Smoky Tempeh Bacon & Kale Recipe (vegan)
- 1 head cauliflower, core removed, chopped into large chunks
- vegan margarine, milk, sour cream to taste
- 6+/- cups kale, de-stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 package of tempeh bacon chopped into pieces (My favorite is Lightlife's "Organic Smoky Tempeh Strips." The smoky flavor makes this dish!)
- olive oil
- garlic (or hing)
- Bragg's liquid aminos
- salt and pepper
- In a sauce pan, steam cauliflower. When tender, drain water and return to pan. Mash with desired amount/combo of vegan margarine, milk, sour cream. Add plenty of salt and freshly crushed pepper.
- In a large saute pan, add olive oil and add garlic, add chopped tempeh and fry until edges are crispy and sticking to the pan. Add freshly washed and finely chopped kale leaves to pan. The water left on the leaves will help loosen any bits of the tempeh bacon stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add salt, pepper and a few squirts of Bragg's and cover. Cook until the kale is soft. If need be, add some water if the mixture starts to stick.
- To serve, top mashed cauliflower with kale and tempeh.