I read somewhere about how you should combine certain foods to unlock their nutritional potential; was it chickpeas and citrus, or wait was it chickpeas and spinach, wait, hmmm... something like that. I know it had chickpeas, so it was something with them. Anyway, I DO know that the iron in spinach is better absorbed when you add vitamin C to it in someway. Regardless, all these thoughts got me to thinking that all these things would work just great together in a flavor profile sort of way. Even my "meat" and potatoes veggie husband thought this dish was scrumptious.
Quinoa Salad with Almond, Orange & Mustard Dressing Recipe (vegan, gluten-free, raw-ish)
Serves about 4
- 4 TB raw almond butter
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2-1 tsp hot sauce
- Salt & freshly crushed pepper to taste
- 1/2 TB tamari
- 2 TB mustard
- 1 TB apple cinder vinegar
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- salt to taste
- 15 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red pepper, chopped into pieces
- Baby spinach (about 2-3 cups per person)
- Toppings of choice such as: raisins, almonds, pepitas, mandarin oranges, cranberries, etc.
- In a blender or small food processor, blend all dressing ingredients together until smooth. Add a dash of water if too thick to blend properly.
- Boil water, quinoa and salt. Cover, reduce and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- When quinoa is done, let it cool and then add dressing and chopped red peppers.
- To serve, plate the baby spinach and top with quinoa mixture. Add toppings of choice.