Yep, this is about as close as it's going get to a donut being healthy. No eggs. Dairy free. Wheat germ. Oat and spelt flours. Zucchini. Carrots. Bananas. It's baked. Besides the sugar coating, it's pretty good for you, right? That's great because it's impossible to eat just one. And, ha! The kids don't even know they're eating veggies! (Shhh!)
One of the beauties of these, unlike a real cake or deep-fried donut, is they are actually better a day or two after you make them. Make ahead for a brunch and there will no stressing or rushing around the morning of your get-together! Keep them wrapped tightly and bring to room temp before serving.
You will need a donut mold pan for this recipe; I just bought one on clearance at Target for $4.95. The batter can also be used to make muffins or quick bread. For muffins, bake about 20 minutes at 400. For quick bread, bake at 350 for about 50-65 minutes in a loaf pan.
The Best and Healthiest Vegan Zucchini Carrot Banana Donut (Doughnut) Recipe
makes about 12-18
- 1/3 cup melted vegan margarine
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup very finely shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup vegan sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 TB energ egg replacer, dry (or cornstarch if you don not have any)
- 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon peel
- 1 cup AP unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup ground oats (Rolled oats ground in a food processor to a fine powder.)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TB apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional--better addition for muffins or quick bread loaf)
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Melt vegan margarine.
- In a large bowl, mash banana. Grate zukes and carrots and add to bowl. Add sugars, vanilla, egg replacer and lemon peel. Mix until well combined.
- Over the bowl, sift together flours, cinnamon, spices and salt. (I do this with a mesh strainer.) Add vinegar. Mix until just combined. Fold in raisins if using.
- Add about 3 TB of batter to a greased donut mold. Bake 9-10 minutes.
- Let donuts cool in pan and transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- To coat in cinnamon sugar, melt 6 TB of margarine in a small bowl. In another bowl, mix 6 TB of sugar and 3 TB of cinnamon. Dip donuts in margarine, drain excess and roll in cinna-sugar!