You know how they say, "Necessity if the mother of all inventions"? Well, it is true. This smoothie recipe is living proof. I am seriously addicted to drinking my meals now! When I was out of both plain almond milk and bananas yesterday morning, I looked over at the bowl full of avocados on my counter and said, "Guys, I'm going to give you a chance!" I winged it, threw things in the blender and came up with something fantabulous. I am not ashamed to say, I made it again this morning!
(Mostly) Raw Almond Joy Smoothie Recipe (vegan, gluten-free)
serves 2 (or one very hungry person)
- 1 cup coconut milk (You could use canned, making this VERY decadent, but I used the milk from a carton.)
- 1/4 cup chocolate almond milk (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 half of an avocado
- 1/8-1/4 cup raw almonds
- 2-3 TB raw coconut butter (Use as much as you want, but it depends on how many calories you are watching.)
- 1/2 tsp stevia powder (You can use a liquid sweetener instead, but again, the level of sweetness depends on if you are watching those things. I think this smoothie is just fine without a tons of extra sweetness.)
- 2 TB raw organic cacoa powder
- 3-4 organic raw medjool dates
- 1 scoop of raw protein powder (optional)
- 1.5 cups ice
- If you have a powerful blender, then just throw everything in and process until smooth.
- If you have a blender from Target, then blend milks, vanilla, cinnamon, avocado, almonds, coconut butter, sweetener and cacoa powder until smooth. Add dates, blend, then add nuts and the lastly, add your protein powder and ice. Blend until smooth.