The inspiration for this dish came from a raw purple cabbage salad served at one of my favorite vegan restaurants, Su Tao in Malvern, PA. My recipe includes a combo of apples and cabbage, which, incidentally, seems very PA Dutch to me. Amish-Asian fusion! You saw it here first!
Marinated Spicy Napa Cabbage & Apple Salad Recipe (vegan, gluten free, [mostly] raw)
serves 2-4; prep time: 20 minutes
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 TB apple cider vinegar
- 1 TB mirin (or other sweetener) optional
- 1/2 TB grainy mustard
- 1/2 TB fresh minced ginger
- 1/2 TB minced garlic
- 2 TB natural apple juice
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- sea salt to taste
- sesame seeds for garnish
- 5-6 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 1 granny smith apple, grated
- 2 carrots, grated
- would also work: add shredded, baked tofu and/or 1 shredded red bell pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients.
- Add prepared veggies to bowl and coat well with dressing. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight. Alternately, you can serve immediately. Top with sesame seeds before serving.