We all know that peanut butter and bananas are two great tastes that taste great together. Add chocolate to that mix and it's a triple threat! If Elvis was a vegan, he would have wanted these muffins for breakfast! My kids loved them and you will too. They're super moist and dense and get nice little boost of nutrition thanks to spelt flour and wheat germ.
Thanks to my friend Åsa from Sweet Om who brought back these Swedish cupcake liners for me from her homeland of Sweden! Greaseproof Swedish cupcake papers are the best I have ever used!
Peanut Butter, Banana, and Chocolate Muffin Recipe (vegan)
Makes 1-2 dozen
- 3 medium-sized very ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 TB molasses
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance, melted
- 1/8 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3/8 cup natural, no sugar added peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose Flour
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 bag semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- Mush bananas well and mix with sugars and molasses. Add Earth Balance, mix, and then add almond milk, vanilla and peanut butter and mix well.
- Sift together flours, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Add to wet mixture until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips and peanuts.
- Scoop 1/8 cup of batter into liners (for small muffins [pictured]) and bake for 20 minutes or use 1/4 cup of batter (for larger muffins) and bake for 22-25 minutes.
- Optional: drizzle with melted chocolate for that special finishing touch.