This recipe is a vegan adaptation of Trader Joe's Chocolate Chip cookie recipe. For a classic chewy chocolate chip cookie leave out the nuts, coconut, and rum extract.
Chewy Chocolate Chip Coconut Macadamia Cookie Recipe (vegan)
makes about 3-4 dozen cookies
- 1 cup vegan margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 1/2 cup vegan yogurt
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 2 1/4 (to 1/2) cups of AP flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup of chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 12-ounce bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Mix margarine, sugars, vanilla and rum extracts until combined. Scrape down sides of the mixing bowl and add yogurt and cornstarch and mix until well combined.
- Sift together flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add dry mixture to wet. If the dough seems too wet, add 1/4 cup of additional flour. Fold in coconut, macadamia nuts and chocolate chips.
- Let dough chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place rounded tablespoons of dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet, leaving 2" in between each cookie.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until the edges are slightly browned. (The middle may look slightly undercooked, but this will allow for a softer cookie.)
- Let cool on the cookie sheet for a minute and transfer to a cooling rack.