My favorite way of preparing sweet potatoes is to simply wrap them in tin foil, throw them in a 425 oven for about 45 minutes to an hour. Once they cool, they easily peel out their skin and are ready to cut. Easy!
African Peanut Stew with Sweet Potatoes, Kale and Chickpeas Recipe (vegan)
- 2 large sweet potatoes (baked in skin or steamed, cut into 1-2 inch chunks)
- 3 cups cooked millet grits
- 3 cups finely chopped and steamed kale
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 TB ginger
- 1 TB coriander
- 1/4 tsp jamaican all spice
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 cups chopped roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 4-6 cups veggie stock (or cheater stock, 4 C water, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp celery seed powder, 2 vegan bouillon cubes) (The more water you use, the thinner the stew will be. Adjust according to your tastes.)
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- peanuts for garnish
- chopped tomatoes for garnish
- Prepare and cook millet, kale and sweet potatoes, set aside.
- Prepare millet groats according to package directions.
- In a medium-sized soup pan, heat oil on medium and then add ginger and spices.
- Add tomatoes and saute for a few minutes.
- Add veggie stock, peanut butter and chickpeas and stir. Simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes and then add kale in last 10 minutes.
- Add cooked sweet potatoes, salt and pepper and simmer covered for about 10 more minutes.
- To serve, add millet to bowl and top with stew. Garnish with chopped tomatoes and lots of peanuts.