|Vegan Korean tofu BBQ "ribs" served over vegan Asian-style coleslaw|
What are you going to do with your TofuXpress when you win one on Scissors and Spice? Try this recipe. It will knock your flip flops off!
Vegan Korean Barbecue Tofu Ribs Recipe (vegan, gluten free if you use wheat free tamari)
serves 2-4, prep time 20 minutes, waiting time, approximately 1 hr. and 30 minutes (or overnight)
- 1 block of extra firm, organic tofu (pressed using the TofuXpress)
- 2 TB soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 TB brown sugar
- 2 TB pineapple juice (optional)
- 1 TB minced garlic (or 1 tsp of hing)
- 1 TB toasted sesame seeds
- dash black pepper
- 1/8 cup of water
- 1 TB cornstarch
|Marinating in the TofuXpress and bloggin'.|
1) Press tofu using the TofuXpress. Drain excess water and remove tofu. Set the tension spring lid aside.
2) Slice the block in half across the widest part and then cut 3/4 inch "rib" strips.
3) Take the bottom of the TofuXpress off the main body (this becomes the marinating lid!). Whisk your marinade ingredients together in the TofuXpress pan. Place the tofu ribs back in the container, place the lid on top (tightly) and shake the tofu in the marinade to get the marinading process going. Place the TofuXpress back in the fridge. Marinate for at least 30 minutes, but 3-4 hours or overnight is ideal.
|The pressed, marinated tofu on the baking sheet, pre-baking.|
4.) Preheat oven to 450.
5.) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray lightly with oil.
6.) Remove tofu "ribs" from marinade, shake off any excess liquid back into the marinating tray, and place each rib on the baking sheet. Reserve remaining liquid.
7.) Place the baking sheet in the oven for 20 minutes (or until the ribs are golden brown with some dark brown edges). Flip each one once 10 minutes into baking with metal tongs.
|Pretty tofu all pressed, marinated and baked!|
8.) In a medium saucepan, over low to medium heat, whisk the remaining marinade (make sure you scoop up any settled cornstarch into the saucepan) plus 1 TB soy sauce until it thickens.
9.) Add the baked tofu and stir until the ribs are coated.
10.) Serve over Scissor and Spice's recipe for "Vegan Asian Style Coleslaw."