Peppermint Mocha Roll Cookies (vegan)
makes about 6 dozen
- 2 12-ounce bags of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup vegan margarine
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup non-dairy yogurt
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 TB espresso powder
- 1 TB Earth Balance
- 4-6 candy canes, crushed
- Melt 1 bag of chocolate chips using double broiler or microwave. Let cool slightly
- With a mixer, beat margarine and brown sugar together until fluffy. Add yogurt, cornstarch, and vanilla. Mix until well combined. Gradually beat in melted chocolate.
- Sift together dry ingredients. Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet. Place dough in fridge overnight.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and, in two batches, roll dough into a log shape. Wrap each tightly in a couple layers of plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350.
- Slice each log into 1/4" slices and place 2" apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake about 8-9 minutes.
- Let cool for a minute on cookie sheet and transfer to cooling rack.
- Melt the 2nd bag of chocolate chips and Earth Balance in microwave. Stir until smooth.
- Spoon some of the melted chocolate on the top of each cookie and smooth with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes and refrigerate to let the chocolate set. Bring to room temperature before serving.