Vegan Mocha Crackle Cookie Recipe
makes about 6 dozen
These cookies are super fudgy, moist, and are ecadently flavored with coffee for a rich mocha taste. Makes a wonderful addition to a holiday cookie tin.
- 1 12-ounce bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup vegan margarine
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup non-dairy yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 3 tablespoons ground coffee (Grind coffee even finer with a coffee grinder or small food processor.)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups powdered sugar
- Melt chocolate using double broiler or microwave. Let cool slightly.
- With a mixer, beat margarine and brown sugar together until fluffy. Add yogurt, cornstarch, and vanilla. Mix until well combined. Gradually beat in melted chocolate.
- Sift together dry ingredients and then add coffee grounds. Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet. Place dough in refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Place powdered sugar in a separate small bowl.
- Scoop 1 TB of dough and form into a ball; continue until all the dough is used. Roll each ball in the powdered sugar until completely coated and there are no visible brown spots.
- Place balls on a parchment lined cookie sheet 2" apart. Flatten just slightly. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 10–11 minutes.
- Let cool for a minute on cookie sheet and transfer to cooling rack.
Omit ground coffee and add: 2 tsp peppermint extract, or 1 tbsp orange zest and 1 tsp orange extract, or 2 tsp raspberry extract.