When I was trying to decide on a variety of baked goods for Anthropologie, I knew I needed one offering that was sans chocolate and seasonal. Aha! Gingerbread cupcakes! Since cupcakes can be hard to travel with and would need tons of space in my already crowded refrigerator, I decided I would convert that idea into a whoopie pie.
After researching countless gingerbread recipes and making several test batches, I combined lots of peculiar elements from other recipes, like stout ale and cocoa powder, to create a richly flavored, moist cake filled with a traditional whoopie filling with, not one, but two twists--it's eggnog flavored AND vegan! The result was a huge hit at the event and no one could believe they contained not one drop of dairy!
Vegan Gingerbread Whoopie Pies with Eggnog Filling Recipe
Makes 30-15 pies (depending on size)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoons espresso powder
- 2 TB cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice
- dash cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Earth Balance Buttery Sticks
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 cup vegan sugar
- 1/2 cup regular molasses (Blackstrap will work, but give the cookies a stronger flavor.)
- 1/8 cup stout ale (If you don't want to cook with alcohol or don't have stout on hand, use a malted beverage, a standard ale, or even ginger ale.)
- 1/8 cup non-dairy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 TB freshly minced ginger
- Eggnog filling (recipe below)
- Sift all dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Beat together Earth Balance and sugars until light and fluffy. Add remaining wet ingredients until well combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture to wet mixture and mix until just combined. Let dough rest, covered, in the fridge for at least a half hour or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 and line cookie sheets with parchment.
- Drop round spoonfuls of the dough on the cookie sheet at least 2-3" apart. A 1/2 TB ball makes a 3 bite pie, while a 1/8 cup scoop makes a dessert sized pie.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes depending on the size of your whoopie pie halves.
- Let cool on the cookie sheet for a minute and transfer to a cooling rack. When the halves are fully cooled, scoop the filling onto the middle of the flat side of the cookie and sandwich it with another half. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Vegan Eggnog Whoopie Pie Filling (& Frosting!) Recipe
This whoopie pie filling doubles as a cupcake or cake frosting! Heck, you could even stuff doughnuts with it!
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup cold Earth Balance
- 1.5 (to 2 cups*) confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Ricemellow Marshmallow Creme
- 2 TB Vegan Eggnog
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 1 tsp vanilla
- dash salt
- Blend shortening, Earth Balance, and vegetable shortening with a mixer until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat until fluffy. *If the filling seems too thin, add about 1/4-1/2 cup confectioner's sugar. It will firm up once refrigerated, so don't add much more than that!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Best if made the day before you stuff the whoopie pies. Keep cold.