Omit the peppermint and candy canes and a 1 tsp vanilla for an everyday yum-nums flavor.
Peppermint Blondies with Chocolate Ganache (vegan)
makes one 8x8 pan; prep time: 15 minutes; 30 minutes cooking time
- 1 & 1/8 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TB cornstarch
- 1/3 cup vegan margarine
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup non-dairy yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 TB non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vegan margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla
- dash salt
- Preheat oven to 350 and line an 8x8 brownie pan with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, over a low flame, melt vegan margarine and brown sugar, stirring constantly. Once melted and combined, stir in non dairy milk, yogurt, vanilla and peppermint extract. Remove from heat. Let cool slightly.
- Sift together dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Fold margarine mixture into dry ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop mixture into brownie pan and bake in a pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- In the last 5 minutes of the brownies baking, make your ganache: in a small saucepan, melt all ganache ingredients over a low flame, stirring until smooth.
- Remove brownies from oven and let cool slightly. Top with ganache and crushed candy canes. Let cool before slicing--but do not refrigerate. Keep tightly wrapped until serving.