|An unusual pairing that worked really well: pumpernickel bread, Earth Balance and a schmear of pumpkin butter!|
Pumpkin butter in a jelly jar makes a thoughtful, yet easy, hostess or Thanksgiving gift for your children's teachers. Unlike fruit preserves, the low acid content of most pumpkin butters means that it should remain refrigerated. Multiply the recipe if you would like to make a larger quantity.
|Jarred and ready for gifting!|
Pumpkin Butter Recipe (vegan)
makes about 1-3/4 cup
- 1 cup of (plain) canned or freshly baked/steamed pumpkin
- 1/4 cup of apple (or pear) juice
- 1-2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/8 cup vegan sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/8-1/4 tsp finely grated orange or lemon peel (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to lowest setting and let simmer, uncovered for 20-30 minutes. Stir frequently. If it gets too thick, add a tiny bit of juice.
- Once the pumpkin has thickened, remove from heat and let cool for a minute. Transfer to jelly jars or a clean glass container. Refrigerate until ready to serve.