I had been creating this cookie in my head for the past few days and did a small sample run of it yesterday. Chewy, yet crispy, sweet and salty. Perfection. The dark brown sugar adds a chewiness to the texture, while the oat flour gives it a nice crisp. Please do use parchment paper on your baking sheets; it will help the cookie cook more evenly.
To make the oat flour, take old fashioned oats and process in a coffee grinder or small food processor until the oats become a fine powder.
Chewy and Crispy (Cranberry) Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe (vegan)
makes about 24-36 cookies
- 1 cup Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 vegan sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plain vegan yogurt
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (You can use regular table salt, but pink Himalayan is best in this recipe.)
- 1.5 cups AP unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup oat flour (already ground)
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1 bag of semisweet vegan chocolate chips
- 1.5 cups dried cranberries (optional--you could leave out or substitute another dried fruit)
- 1 TB orange zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a stand mixer, combine Earth Balance and sugars and blend until creamy. Add vanilla and yogurt. Mix until well combined.
- In another small bowl, combine flours, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips and cranberries (if using).
- Place rounded tablespoons of the dough on the cookie sheet and flatten slightly. Bake for 9-11 minutes (depending on cookie size) or until the outer edges of the cookies are golden (tops may look ever so slightly undercooked, but that is ok.)
- Let cool slightly on sheet and then transfer to a wire rack.