Seriously, I am not a breakfast person. I'm also not a morning person, but having kids means you have to at least embrace the AM even if you don't want to. Since I eat a lacto-veg diet (meaning I occasionally eat dairy, but no eggs), I would often have yogurt for breakfast even though it always gave me a stomach ache. I know, so why would I eat it? Convenience, I guess. Since doing Vegan Mofo, I have been trying to eliminate dairy from my diet, so I am looking for another morning dish.
Last night, I decided I would have chia seeds in the morning. I feel great when I eat chia, so I thought it's probably a better idea to start the day feeling lovely than with a pained belly and a cloudy disposition. I'm so happy I did; I found my new favorite brekky!
To read more about the health benefits of chia seeds, read here and here and here!
Raspberry Chia Breakfast Pudding Recipe (vegan)
- I cup coconut milk (from a carton)
- 3 TB chia seeds
- 1/2 vanilla
- 1/2 cup organic frozen or fresh raspberries
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or agave)
- chopped raw walnuts
- 1 or 2 chopped dates
- The night before, soak chia seeds in coconut milk and vanilla. Let sit in mug or bowl in fridge.
- In the morning, top with raspberries (really you can use any kind of fruit), sweetener, nuts and dates. Eat!