Pumpkin/Cranberry/Ginger Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies (vegan)
makes 18-48 cookies (depending on size)
- 1 cup AP flour (You could use 1/2 white and 1/2 whole wheat or spelt.)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 TB pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 3/4 cup Earth Balance
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 TB liquid sweetener (molasses, rice brown syrup, agave, etc.)
- 1/8 cup vegan Greek yogurt (or regular vegan yogurt)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 TB cornstarch
- 1 TB grated lemon zest (orange would work great too!)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup of dried cranberries (You can chop them into little pieces if they are whole.)
- 1-2 cups of dark chocolate chunks (Adjust to your preference.)
- 1/4 cup chopped candied ginger
- 1/2 cup nuts of your choice (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, salt, baking soda, spices and espresso powder.
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment, mix butter and sugar/sweetner, then add yogurt, pumpkin puree, cornstarch, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry mixture. Add oats until just combined.
- Fold in cranberries, ginger, chocolate and nuts (if using).
- For super large cookies, use a 1/4 cup scoop (bake for about 14 minutes); for large cookies, use a 1/8 cup scoop (bake about 12 minutes); for politely sized cookies, 1 TB scoop (bake about 10 minutes). Flatten each cookie to about 1/2 inch thick and shape. Cookies do not spread very much.
- Cookies will be soft when removed from oven. Let cool on sheet and then transfer to cookie rack with a spatula.