|Ok, I know... this picture is horrible! The afternoon sun is already gone by 6:30ish now so no non-flash photos of dinners until the spring! Guess I have to cook dinner in the morning to get nicely lit shots.|
|Tip: Make taco holders out of aluminum foil and fill with your veg meat or beans before you put in the oven to toast. The taco shells don't break when you eat them and the cheese or teese melts perfectly on the hot filling!|
I was looking at the back of a taco seasoning packet to get ideas and realized that most taco seasoning is pretty gross and lots have milk powder or non-veg things in them. This seasoning can be made in bulk so you have it on hand for the next time you fancy a taco!
Vegan and Healthy (and Lower Sodium!) Taco Seasoning Recipe
- 2 TB chili powder
- 1 TB paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder (or hing)
- 1 TB cumin powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp marjoram
- couple dashes of black pepper
- 1-3 tsp red pepper flakes (adjust to your desired level of spiciness)
- 1 tsp salt (or leave out completely)
- Combine all in a ingredients in a bowl. Even better, if you have one, grind the ingredients in a small food processor. Store in an airtight container.
- To use: In a frying pan, heat 1-2 TB of oil in a pan, and saute 2 TB of the mix, add a bag of Boca crumbles or rinsed beans, saute and then add 8 ounces of tomato sauce and 4 ounces of water and stir. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Stuff taco shells, bake at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes and add your favorite taco toppings!