|Cookie bowl! Cannoli flavored chocolate chip oatmeal cookies making friends with choco fudge cookies.|
The best tip I ever got from another blog was Vegan Dad's suggestion to freeze large batches of cookies. He would make a batch, freeze them and over the course of a week or two, dole them out in his kids' lunches. The cookies don't go stale and you don't go crazy eating dozens of cookies. Now, whenever I make a large batch, if I don't immediately use them or give them away, I freeze them in a large freezer bag.
The other day, my husband had a meeting at work that was going to last for the better part of the day, so I sent him off with some of my cookie stash to keep everyone sugared up during the talks. In the bowl were my chocolate fudge cookies, and a new flavor, "Cannoli Chocolate Chip Oatmeal." What kind of flavor is that you ask? All the flavor elements make of a traditional cannoli, but in an oatmeal cookie! It wasn't what I intended it to be, but ended up being pretty fab.
Cannoli Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Recipe (eggless, vegan-izable)
makes 18-48 cookies (depending on size)
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter (or vegan margarine)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup full fat Greek yogurt (or thick vegan yogurt)
- the zest of one navel orange
- 1 TB cornstarch
- 1 TB espresso powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, salt, cinnamon, espresso powder and baking soda.
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment, mix butter and sugar, then add yogurt, cornstarch, orange zest and vanilla.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry mixture. Add oats until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- For super large cookies, use a 1/4 cup scoop (bake for about 14 minutes); for large cookies, use a 1/8 cup scoop (bake about 12 minutes); for politely sized cookies, 1 TB scoop (bake about 10 minutes). Flatten each cookie to about 1/2 inch thick and shape. Cookies do not spread very much.
- Cookies will be very soft when removed from oven. Let cool on sheet and then transfer to cookie rack with a spatula.