Looking at recipes for mole sauce, I realized they can get pretty complicated. I came up with this cheater one on a whim. It's pretty easy to make and tastes just like the mole sauces I have had at Mexican restaurants.
Easy Vegetarian/Vegan Mole Sauce Recipe*
makes about 2 cups; prep time: 10-15 minutes
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely minced pablano peppers (or in a pinch, use green bell peppers)
- 1.5 TB chili powder
- 1 TB cumin powder
- dash cayenne
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 TB cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2-1 cup water
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 TB brown sugar
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (fire roasted if you can find it)
- 2 TB finely minced, mild pickled jalapenos
- In a saucepan over medium heat, saute peppers in olive oil for a few minutes, add spices and saute for a minute.
- Add cocoa powder and cinnamon. Stir. When mixtures starts to clump, add water and stir.
- Add salt, pepper and brown sugar and then add tomato sauce and pickled MILD jalapenos. Don't use fresh jalapenos here or the sauce will be too hot.
- Continue cooking sauce until it thickens. If it becomes too thick, add more water. Adjust salt to taste.
- This sauce works well as a topping to fried or baked plantains (just add a can of drained and rinsed black beans to the sauce). Use it as a dipping sauce or to marinate seitan for tacos. Yum!
*This recipe is a component to the Scissors and Spice baked poblanos recipe.