|Lentils on top of fabric from Lithuania.|
This dish melds earthy French lentils, the astringent woodsy flavor rhubarb with the dark, nutty flavor of mustard seeds. To bring in sweetness, I added sweet potatoes, red pepper and a touch brown sugar. If you want heat, double the red pepper flakes. It turned out pretty delish and it's super healthy to boot!
Savory Rhubarb Lentil Curry with Spinach and Red Peppers Recipe (vegan)
serves 2 as an entree or 4 as a side
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 cup French lentils
- 3 cups of water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stalk (or 2) of rhubarb (diced into small pieces)
- 1/2 of 1 red bell pepper (diced into small pieces)
- 2 cups frozen spinach or 2 cups cooked spinach, chopped finely
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1/2 TB of mustard seeds
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 TB minced ginger
- 1 TB cumin powder
- 1 TB brown sugar
- salt to taste
- Pour 3 cups of water in a saucepan. Add lentils and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes or until lentils are soft, but not falling apart. Drain excess water.
- Cook sweet potato. My favorite method is baking: Wrap sweet potato in foil and bake at 425 for about 20 minutes or until the skin pulls away from the flesh and the potato is soft. Baking caramelizes the sugar and brings a nice deep flavor to the potato. You can also just peel and cube the sweet potato and steam it.
- While lentils are simmering, cut your vegetables.
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil and then stir in mustard seeds. Once they start popping, add red pepper flakes and fennel. Add ginger (careful here, this may lead to a minor explosion. Have a lid handy just in case or you will have mustard seeds all over your floor.) Add cumin.
- Add red peppers and rhubarb to the pan. Sauté for a few minutes. Add spinach and sautée until fully cooked. Add cooked lentils, cooked sweet potato and brown sugar and stir. Add salt to taste.
- Serve alone or with a grain like rice or quinoa.