My friend, Deva, editor of Sabjimata, sent me this recipe for eggless brownies a year or two ago and it has always proven to be a big hit with everyone who has had the pleasure of munching on their chewy goodness. More like a fudge recipe than a brownie one (due to its use of condensed milk), it packs a major chocolate punch.
Since it only calls for 3/4 of a cup of flour (in a 1/2 recipe, using an 8x8 pan), I thought it would be an easy recipe to make a gluten-free conversion. Having had both the flour version, and the gluten-free versions, I think I like this one better! It has a very, very subtle coconut flavor and lacks the grittiness normally associated with gluten-free desserts.
Egg-Free, Gluten-Free Fudge Brownie Recipe
serves 12-24 (depending on the size of the brownie); prep and baking time: 30 minutes
Follow Sabjimata's recipe here using these changes:
Substitute the 1.5 cups of flour the recipe calls for by using:
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (I used Bob's Red Mill coconut flour.)
- 1/2 cup almond meal (I used Trader Joe's brand.)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free baking mix (I used Arrowhead Mills GF baking mix.)
I also added:
- 1 tsp of espresso powder
- dash of cinnamon
- Use gluten-free vanilla.
- Use gluten-free chocolate chips.
- Chocolate chips can be pressed onto the top of the batter (that's already been put into the baking pan) before it's put in the oven.