I have been craving a big bowl of peanuty-noodles ever since my friend Deva over at Sabjimata took the grand prize (holla!) at the Earth Balance "Spring to Life" Contest with her recipe for Spicy Tamarind Noodle Salad and Vegan Death Metal chef won over the hearts of veg Facebookers last week with his recipe/video for Pad Thai. I love peanuty noodles, but I am calorie conscious, so I tried conjuring up a curried peanut sauce with water and light coconut milk. The result has neither an overly peanut, coconut or a curry flavor, but tons of yum.
Coconut Peanut Curry Sauce with Rice Noodles, Veggies and Tofu Recipe
(vegan, gluten free)
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1 TB peanut butter
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 TB soy sauce (use gf is need be)
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 TB hoisin sauce
- 1/2 TB brown sugar
- Rice noodles (about 8 ounces/two people)
- Veggies of your choice
- Tofu or tempeh
- Crushed peanuts for garnish
- salt to taste
- Boil water, add peanut butter and stir. Add all other sauce ingredients, turn down heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Cook rice noodles according to package instructions.
- Steam or fry veggies of choice. Same goes for your protein source. (I used baked teriyaki tofu from Trader Joe's.)
- When noodles are done, drain and coat them with sauce (don't drown them). Top with veggies, tofu and crushed peanuts and any extra sauce.