Sorta Portuguese Potato Kale Soup Recipe (vegan-izable)
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 tsp hing
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 6 medium Yukon gold potatoes (white potatoes can be used as well or use less if you want a thinner soup)
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped fine
- 5 cups finely chopped and de-stemmed kale leaves
- 1 TB of butter (optional)
- 1 cup cannellini beans (optional)
- Add oil and spices to a soup pan and sauté until fragrant. Add potatoes and celery sauté for a few minutes.
- Add vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then let simmer on medium heat, covered, until potatoes become soft, about 15 minutes.
- When potatoes are soft, use an immersion blender to puree them and the celery completely. If the soup seems too thick, add more broth or water.
- Add kale and let the soup simmer for as long as you can. An hour or two is best. The kale should be nice and soft. If using cannellini beans, add them in the last 15 minutes of simmering (and the butter too if you not making vegan).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.