It snowed last night. Again. It was 70 degrees last week. I was up all night to the constant sound of snow plows, my children coughing and my own huffs and puffs. School was cancelled despite the fact that the streets were more than drivable. I was in a bad, bad mood. I did not want any of my usual breakfast choices. Cold and unloving yogurt. Soggy cereal. I needed something warm and happy. Tofuxpress to the rescue! I had some tofu being pressed in the fridge (left-over from a brownie experiment) so I decide to make tofu scramble. I'm so happy I did. It didn't really improve my mood, or make me feel more rested, but at least my belly felt warm and happy.
Scrambled Tofu Recipe (vegan)
- 1 block of extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 tsp hing (or 1/2 onion, minced)
- 1 tsp crushed, dried thyme
- 1 TB yellow mustard powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 TB tumeric
- 1 TB nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup mixed, chopped bell peppers (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes (optional)
- 1/4 cup frozen, chopped spinach (optional)
- Pinch apart pieces of your pressed tofu. Make sure all the water is drained--this give the best results.
- In a frying pan, heat oil and then add spices (except tumeric). Stir for a minute and add tofu. Coat tofu in spice/oil mixture. Fry for a couple of minutes. Add slat and pepper.
- Add optional veggies starting with peppers (fry those for a few minutes before adding other veggies).
- Add tumeric, and stir until everything is coated with its yellowy goodness.
- Add nutritional yeast and fry until the tofu starts getting a few light brown flecks.
- Serve with veggie sausage, Teese or whatever dairy-free cheese gets you going. Go crazy and make an un-egg MacMuffin. The possibilities are endless!