|Báhn Mì salad, tastes better than it photographs.|
Ok, I know, you are tired of me making these Vietnamese inspired posts, but I have to do something with all that pickled daikon and cilantro! Plus, the rest of the baguette I used for the Báhn Mì sandwich was quickly entering the crouton samadhi state. Croutons? Hmmm... Aha! An idea! A Báhn Mì salad! Make this for your next PTA potluck instead of that snoozer iceburg, tomato and cucumber salad and wow your fellow members with all your exotic foodiness.
Báhn Mì Crouton Salad (vegan)
serves 1 or 2
- 1 TB rice wine vinegar
- 1 TB soy sauce
- 1/2 TB hoisin sauce
- 2 TB Veganaise
- 1/4 tsp Sriracha
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 head of romaine, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup of cilantro chopped
- 1/8 cup basil chopped
- 1 cup of toasted cubes of French baguette
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and julienned
- 1/4 cup of pickled daikon
- 1/4 cup of pickled carrots
- 2 TB of chopped pickled jalapeno
- 1/4 block of tofu (marinated and baked) or other other fake meat, chopped into cubes
- cilantro leaves for garnish
- Mix dressing well, set aside.
- Mix romaine, cilantro, basil and 1/4 of dressing in a bowl. (If making ahead of time, do not mix with dressing until ready to serve.)
- Place salad mixture on plate, top with remaining ingredients and drizzle with another 1/4 of the dressing.